Friday, December 6, 2013

Update on fingers/knuckles issue

I saw my Rheumatologist for a checkup on November 13th, a month after having had MRI's taken of my hands. The MRI's had shown definite involvement of RA in the knuckles of my right hand and the forefinger of my left hand, as discussed in the previous entry.

He asked if I would like a Cortisone injection into the affected joints. I gladly agreed. I had only had one prior cortisone injection for RA, which was several years ago after a serious setback had caused a huge barrage of flares, and was in essence crippling me. (It takes a long time for the antibiotics that I take to eradicate the flares entirely...often 6 to 8 months. The one cortisone shot that he gave me that prior time quickly reversed the swollen joints, and with the antibiotics, I was able to keep things in remission for several years with no further flares). 

Anyhow, I recieved small injections into three different joints. It took several days, but the swelling went away, and I now once again have full use of all my fingers.  Hopefully, I can keep things that way with the minocin/vibramycin that I am taking.

Will keep you all posted if there are any changes!

Have a great holiday, and I hope you are all able to find something in my blog that helps you to reduce or hopefully eliminate your RA flares!

No comments:

Post a Comment